If you have an underbite, you may wonder if Invisalign is a viable solution. Invisalign utilizes clear, custom-made aligners that gradually straighten teeth over time instead of ceramic braces. Invisalign can address a wide variety of orthodontic issues, including an underbite. In this blog post, we’ll discuss the basics of underbite correction with Invisalign and how it compares to other treatment options. Read on to find out if Invisalign could be the right choice for you.
What Is an Underbite?
An underbite is a type of malocclusion or misalignment of the teeth in which the lower front teeth extend beyond the upper front teeth when the jaw is closed. This condition may cause difficulties with biting, chewing, speaking, and even breathing in severe cases. Underbites can be corrected with orthodontic treatment, such as Invisalign, which improves both the functionality and appearance of the teeth. Seek orthodontic treatment for underbites, as they can cause long-term dental and oral health problems if left untreated.
Causes of an Underbite
An underbite occurs when the lower teeth and jaw protrude forward, resulting in a misaligned bite. Underbites are often inherited genetically but can also result from certain habits like thumb-sucking, tongue-thrusting, and prolonged use of pacifiers in childhood. In some cases, skeletal growth abnormalities may cause an underbite. Consult with an orthodontist to determine the cause of your underbite and the most effective treatment option.
How Can Invisalign Help Fix an Underbite?
Invisalign clear aligners work by applying constant pressure to the teeth, slowly moving them into the desired position. Unlike traditional braces, Invisalign aligners are nearly invisible, making them a popular choice for people who want their treatment discrete. You can take your aligners out for eating, brushing, and flossing, making them a convenient option for those with busy lifestyles. The length of treatment time varies based on the severity of the underbite, but most cases resolve in 12 to 18 months with consistent wear of the aligners.
What are the Benefits of Invisalign Over Traditional Braces?
When it comes to orthodontic treatment, traditional braces are a tried and true option. However, Invisalign has gained popularity due to its many benefits, including:
- Appearance: One of the biggest advantages of Invisalign is the aligners are virtually invisible, making them a great option for those who may feel uncomfortable wearing traditional metal braces.
- Comfort: Invisalign aligners are made of a smooth, flexible material less likely to irritate the mouth and gums than the brackets and wires of traditional braces.
- Faster results: Depending on the severity of your underbite, Invisalign may deliver results more quickly than traditional braces. While traditional braces can take several years to fully correct an underbite, Invisalign can often achieve results in 12 to 18 months.
- Oral hygiene: Maintaining good oral hygiene can be difficult with traditional braces, as food particles become trapped between the brackets and wires. With Invisalign, you simply remove the aligners when eating, brushing, and flossing, reducing the risk of tooth decay and gum disease.
- Diet: With Invisalign, you can remove your aligners while eating and enjoy all your favorite foods without any restrictions.
Invisalign in Murray Hill, NYC
If you're considering Invisalign to fix an underbite, contact Manhattan Dental Spa. Our team of skilled dentists has years of experience in orthodontic treatments, including Invisalign, and can help you achieve a healthy, beautiful smile. Contact us today by calling 212-683-2530 or request an appointment online.