Lasers in Dentistry
Lasers in Dentistry – Minimally Invasive Procedures
Manufactured by Biolase, Waterlase® is a high-tech laser surgery tool that uses a patented combination YSGG laser and water spray to perform a wide range of dental procedures without a drill. All lasers work by delivering energy in the form of light.
Using Waterlase® Laser Dentistry, our dentists can perform many dental procedures with no noise, very little pain and fewer appointments. When used for surgical and dental procedures, the laser acts as a cutting instrument or a vaporizer of tissue to cut soft tissue and bone with greater accuracy and precision. Whereas drills can create loud noises, vibration and friction, a laser does not touch the surface, which lowers the need for local anesthesia, lowers the risk of infection, and reduces post-operative swelling.
Lasers in dentistry allow for many procedures to be performed with no noise, minimal pain, less bleeding, faster recovery times, and fewer appointments.
Some additional benefits lasers have over traditional methods include:
- Reduced heat and vibration
- Little or no need for anesthetic
- Minimal bleeding
- Faster treatment time
- Increased rate of retention of implants
- Reduced damage to healthy tissues
- Minimal post-operative swelling and discomfort
- Fewer infections or post-operative complications
Lasers have numerous functions in dentistry including:
- Place dental implants
- Reshape gum tissue
- Biopsy or remove soft tissue lesions and ulcers
- Remove areas of tooth decay
- Increase rate of retention of implants
- Eliminate infection in gum tissue pockets
- Fuse tissues
- Perform frenectomies (such as correction of ankyloglossia)
- Perform oral surgery and extractions