Weddings and other special events are some of the most significant memories you’ll make in your lifetime. Appropriately, these events often include many photographic opportunities, perhaps even formal photography. The memories that are captured on camera will be treasured and revisited for years to come. Is your smile ready?
You want your smile to look its best for the big day, but if you’re feeling that it could use some improvement, it may be time to talk to your dentist sooner rather than later. Some cosmetic dentistry procedures take time, so it’s best to plan ahead. Here’s what you need to know about creating a dental plan for a wedding or special occasion.
Start With a Consultation
The first step in improving your smile is to schedule a consultation with your dentist. The purpose of the consultation is to discuss your smile goals and for your dentist to evaluate the current condition of your teeth. After a brief evaluation, your dentist will make recommendations for the best course of treatment to help you achieve your smile goals in time for your special event. The sooner you schedule your consultation, the wider range of options you will have to make cosmetic improvements.
Timing for Cosmetic Dental Procedures
Refer to the following timeline for scheduling cosmetic dental procedures before your big day:
- Teeth whitening: 1 month prior. Teeth whitening can be done in as little as one in-office treatment or in a few weeks of treatments at home. If you desire a whiter smile, you need to schedule your whitening appointment at least a month before your event.
- Cosmetic bonding: 2 months prior. Cosmetic bonding is a procedure that involves the use of composite resin to reshape teeth that are chipped or misshapen. It is best to schedule this procedure at least 2 months before your special event so that there is plenty of time to fit it into your schedule and to ensure that the bonding material is solid.
- Microabrasion: 2 months prior. Microabrasion is the process of scrubbing away stains and spots from the teeth. A very thin layer of enamel is removed in the process, so it is a good idea to have this procedure done at least 2 months before your big day in case there is any sensitivity resulting from it.
- Veneers: 3 months prior. Veneers are thin layers of porcelain that are attached to the front side of your teeth to conceal imperfections. The process for getting veneers requires a few appointments, so at least 3 months before the event is the very latest you should consider getting started if you want your smile to be ready in time.
- Crowns: 6 months prior. A crown is a tooth-shaped protective covering placed over a tooth. The process involves making impressions (digital images) of the tooth or teeth receiving the crowns, reducing the existing tooth material, making more impressions, and then creating a crown. A temporary crown may need to be worn while your permanent crown is created. The crown does not always fit properly the first time, and adjustments may need to be made. All of this takes time, which is why you should start this process at least 6 months before your special occasion.
- Bridges: 6 months prior. A bridge can replace one or a few teeth in a row. It consists of two crowns that fit over the teeth on each side of the gap with one or more artificial teeth suspended between them. Similar to the process for a crown, the bridge must be fitted and possibly adjusted before it is permanently placed, so is recommended that you alot at least 6 months.
- Dental implants: 1 year prior. Dental implants are surgically placed in the jaw where they can fuse with the bone. The process for fusion can take anywhere from 3 to 6 months, or more depending on the patient, before the prosthetic can be attached (artificial crown, bridge, or dentures). It is best to alot at least a year to get dental implants before the event.
- Invisalign: at least 1 year prior. Invisalign is an orthodontic treatment designed to straighten teeth and align bite patterns. Average Invisalign treatment can take anywhere from 6 to 18 months, so it is best to talk to your dentist about it at least a year in advance.
Get Started With Your Smile Makeover Today
If you have a big event coming up and you want to look your best, start a conversation with your dentist as soon as possible. Manhattan Dental Spa provides a wide range of cosmetic procedures that can make the necessary changes to transform your smile before your big day. After a brief consultation we can make a recommendation for cosmetic treatment that will improve your smile in all the ways you desire.